Fashion magazines and food bloggers are once again enthusiastically embracing a new trend: The "Switchel" is the new summer drink of the year! No wonder, because the natural refreshing drink contains many tasty yet healthy ingredients that boost the metabolism and provide a supply of quickly lost electrolytes in summer: Ginger water, apple vinegar, lemon juice and maple syrup.
Switchel, also known as Switzel, Swizzle and Swizzy, has been known since the 17th century and is particularly popular as a thirst quencher during hard, physical work in the sun. The composition is similar to the popular recipe for ginger root beer, in which ginger also plays a major role. (You can find out all you need to know about the great ginger root in our detailed ginger special.)
Süddeutsche Zeitung has compared ready-sold Switchel with the homemade drink, and, no wonder, of course the homemade lemonade with fresh ingredients has a clear advantage in taste.
For our personal Switchel favorite, we have added full-bodied, genuine Kombucha to the well-known basic recipe, for which you will of course need the Kombucha scoby (fungus) of Wellness-Drinks. The mixture fits perfectly!
Ingredients for Kombucha Switchel
- at least 100g of ginger (or more according to taste)
- 250ml Kombucha drink (go to the Kombucha recipe)
- 2-3 tablespoons apple vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2-3 tablespoon lemon juice
- Approx. 600 ml of pre-cooled water for refilling
- Some water to boil the ginger
This is how the Kombucha Switchel is prepared:
- Peel the ginger, cut it into thin slices and bring it to the boil in a small pot with a little water.
- When the water boils briskly, remove the pot from the stove and let the mixture simmer covered for at least 15 minutes.
- Mix Kombucha, apple vinegar, maple syrup and lemon juice in a large carafe, add the filtered ginger water and fill up with water.
- The Kombucha switch tastes cold, warm and even hot! Depending on taste, it can be served with ice cubes, at room temperature or warmed.
- The basic recipe can of course be varied very well. With a few leaves of mint, rosemary, basil or a few sliced strawberries you can create completely new taste experiences.
- The Switchel is also ideal as the basis for an alcoholic drink: With a good shot of gin or whisky it tastes great and the summer party can start. (We heard so).
- Description: Kombucha Switchel- This is how you make the brilliant summer drink
- Category: Drinks, Cuisine: European
- Tags: Kombucha, Switchel, Summer Drink, Drinks, Fermentation, Kombucha Recipe, Ginger
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes , Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings, Nutrition facts (calories): 65 (ca.) per serving,
- Author: Wellness-Drinks, Published: 12.8.2018
Note: All information and tips on our website have been selected and verified by us with great care. Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee for the currency, completeness and validity of the given data. We assume no liability for any damage and or accidents.
When following our recommendations, tips, and notes, please also use your own personal judgment and experience in the proper and safe handling of food.