Spicy Kombucha ketchup
Ripe, long fermented Kombucha with pronounced acidity is perfect for preparing all kinds of sweet and sour sauces. For example, this absolutely heavenly tasting, spicy ketchup! Ideal is Kombucha, which has already turned into Kombucha vinegar, because your Kombucha fungus (scoby) of Wellness-Drinks was allowed to "work" longer. With young, sweeter Kombucha, the spicy ketchup also succeeds. In this case, you can reduce the amount of raw cane sugar used, but you may have to add a little extra acidity with a small shot of vinegar.
Our Kombucha ketchup basic recipe is sufficient for a 400ml screw glass and can be kept refrigerated in the refrigerator for many weeks.
Ingredients for Kombucha ketchup (basic recipe)
- 150g tomato paste
- 175 ml Kombucha drink (go to Kombucha production), even better: Kombucha vinegar
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon of paprika powder (sweet)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamont
- a few pinches of cayenne pepper (according to taste)
- Salt and pepper for spicing
Prepare Kombucha ketchup:
- Put tomato paste in a bowl or small pot. Add Kombucha and stir into the tomato paste until a smooth mixture is formed.
- Stir in all other ingredients. At the end spice up with salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip: If you like it a bit harsher, you can let the finished Kombucha ketchup ferment further for 1-2 days in a closed glass at room temperature. The additional sugar ensures a rapid second fermentation. Then place the jar in the refrigerator, where it will keep for many weeks.
- Attention: You should never screw the glass down completely, so that any pressure that may arise can still escape.
- The Kombucha ketchup basic recipe becomes even more delicious if you add more spicing ingredients! The ingredients can be varied almost as much as you like, depending on what your spice rack and your fridge have to offer - my personal favorite definitely contains coriander seeds and plenty of fresh garlic! But with a little imagination you will surely come up with many more ingredients. In the following box you will find some ideas.
Spices to vary and try out (individually or several at the same time!):
- 1 small onion, finely chopped in a little oil (alternatively: half a teaspoon of granulated onion)
- 2-3 points of cloves, ground
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, finely grated or chopped (alternatively: half a teaspoon of ginger, ground)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped, raw or steamed with the onion (alternatively: a quarter teaspoon of garlic granules)
- 1/2 teaspoon of fennel seeds, ground or crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder or turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, ground or crushed
- a few dashes of Worcester sauce or Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon sherry or port wine
- Description: Spicy Kombucha ketchup ruckzuck selbst machen
- Category: Saucen, Cuisine: Amerikanisch
- Tags: Kombucha, Kombucha-Rezept, Ketchup, Ketchup-Rezept, Grillsauce, Würzsauce, Barbecue Sauce, Vegan, Vegetarisch
- Prep Time: 15 Minuten , Fermentationszeit: 1-2 Tage
- Yield: 10 Portionen, Nutrition facts (calories): 32 (ca.),
- Author: Wellness-Drinks, Published: 15.5.2019
Note: All information and tips on our website have been selected and verified by us with great care. Nevertheless, we cannot guarantee for the currency, completeness and validity of the given data. We assume no liability for any damage and or accidents.
When following our recommendations, tips, and notes, please also use your own personal judgment and experience in the proper and safe handling of food.